Dear Margo, Rita, and Curtis,
I was on a sports team for the past two terms, but now I’m a student who doesn’t play a sport in the spring. All of a sudden I have more free time, and I don’t know what to do on weekends. Any advice on what to do?
First of all, look at this free time not as a curse, but instead as possibly the biggest blessing you have ever received. Spring term at Deerfield is probably the best time of year at the Academy — actually, you can really have fun no matter what you are doing. Now that there’s more than two minutes of sunlight each day, the world is your oyster. Here are a few ideas of things you can do on weekends to enjoy the end of the year:
1. Go to the river. Duh. Go with your friends or go alone. You won’t regret going. However, if you are thinking that you are going to get a tan, I am here to make sure you don’t get your hopes up. Deerfield in April isn’t exactly the same vibe as Cancún. Consider yourself lucky if the UV Index is above four.
2. Watch games! Spring term is nice because we have so many teams to watch. The boys and girls lacrosse teams are fan favorites, track and field is sure to make your jaw drop, baseball and softball know how to impress a crowd, crew is so fast you can barely see the boat, our cyclists are world-class, golf brings a sweat to your forehead, and water polo is sure to keep you on your toes.
3. Do your homework outside. This idea only really applies to sophomores and juniors because seniors don’t do that anymore and freshman don’t even have homework, right? Regardless, doing homework outside makes time go by faster, and you can get your tan on at the same time!
4. Take a faculty dog for a walk. While it is tempting to just grab one because they are so cute, remember to ask first. Walking them down the Big Loop or even just down Albany Road will make a dog’s day… and yours.
5. Hike to the Rock. Just before it gets unbearably hot, a hike to the Rock is the perfect source of exercise that won’t make you want to cry while doing it. If you’re lucky enough, you might be able to watch the sunset there.
6. Get ice cream from Richardson’s. Two words: Cookie Combustion. Trust me on this one.
There are tons of things that you can do even if you don’t play a sport in the spring. In my opinion, spring term is one of the best terms to be able to relax and enjoy your time at Deerfield. Remember to try new things and explore all this campus has to offer, and I assure that you will make amazing memories this spring!
Margo, Rita, and Curtis