Dear Margo, Rita, and Curtis,
I’m a little nervous about my first few days at DA – do you have any tips for me to feel ready for this new adventure?
First of all, a huge welcome to DA! And you’re right, this is going to be the adventure of a lifetime. And no adventure is complete without a reliable survival kit. Here are some of the basics you will need on your first day of DA:
1. A pair of binoculars that says to DA, “Hey, I’m a curious kid with a knack for bird-watching. Wanna be best friends?” Why mess with a classic?
2. A James Bond style shoe-phone. As you might already know, use of mobile phones in public areas of campus is strictly prohibited. However, a sleek, oxford-style shoe phone will ward off any and all suspicion of unsolicited use of mobile phones. (Plus, this is a fun and stylish way to communicate with that new best friend!)
3. Pants. Don’t forget pants. With the exception of the risky business dance. Then, forget pants.
4. A prepared list of answers to the most commonly asked questions by new classmates. For instance answers to questions like, “What’s your name? Where are you from? Where are you living? When’s the mobile project due? What’s that on your toe?” to name a few. The best way to get these extremely valuable questions answered, without having to repeat yourself, is to type them up and ask Mr. Kelly to send out an all-school email. This way, everyone will know who you are and won’t need to talk to you until a few weeks into the school year.
5. A mask in case you need to start anew.
Margo, Rita & Curtis